Our second alpaca course is launched...
Following on from the popularity of our Animal Care & Ownership course we have decided to deliver a follow up session that delves more deeply into the subject of breeding choices and fleece assessment.
How do I choose a stud? / what can I do with my fleece?
These are questions that we are asked again and again. This workshop is designed to remove all the mysteries behind improving your herd, shearing preparation and getting the most from that amazing fleecy stuff that your alpacas grow just for you.
The day is led by our very own Chris who, as well as running our own herd of 100+ alpacas, spends the summer months travelling the UK shearing many other herds. Along with his BAS training, this gives him real in-depth and wide ranging knowledge base that will be shared with you.
We believe in the “listen-watch-do” learning technique.
During the workshop you will experience a number of practical hands-on activities supported by discussions and demonstrations, we have found that this delivery method suits most people attending, regardless of previous knowledge and experience with alpacas. Chris shares the delivery of the workshop with herd manager Laura, between them having over seven years of specialist experience caring for, raising and breeding alpacas you can be sure to receive the best advice.
Attending our workshop will give you the confidence to go home, plan your first matings and get that gorgeous fleece prepared and ready for the mill.
If you aspire to own alpacas this workshop is a great way to meet other owners / breeders and get the ball rolling so you can begin to make plans for your very own herd.
£65.00 per person
£105.00 per couple
We always encourage visits by couples or pairs. It is great to have someone to bounce ideas off and when you return home you are guaranteed to have support close by... we find it really does help to be able to refer back to points with someone who shared the workshop experience with you.
- Know your animals - Giving you the knowledge and confidence to assess and grade your own herd.
- Noticing good and bad traits - Learning how to improve your herd through educated breeding choices.
- Identify which studs are right for you - We will demonstrate how we finalise our breeding decisions and explain how you can use this same straightforward technique with your own animals.
- Testing your fibre - If you want to take your breeding and fibre production seriously you must consider sample testing. Learn how this is carried out and how to read results.
- Wool and Yarn - How to choose the best mill to suit your needs. Learn about the different processes available and consider what results you want to aim for.
- Examine your yield - Learn how to sort and skirt your fleeces with skirting demonstrations and opportunity to have a go yourself.
- A to Z of good shearing practices - Learning how to have a smooth flowing and calm shearing day for both you and your alpacas.
- Recipe for success - You will leave our day oozing confidence, full of new knowledge and skills which should ensure you get the best results from your herd.
9.45am: Arrival and sign in with tea & coffee
12.30pm: Two course lunch & question time
3.30pm: Review of day with a final cuppa
Things to bring
A notebook and pen if you wish (not essential)
Fleece samples or whole fleeces if you wish us to use them in the demonstrations
Extra layers that are weather-proof and which you don’t mind getting wet or dirty
A change of clothing for the journey home may be a good idea for less forgiving weather days
NB. This is a hands-on course, so some activities will take place outside or in our outdoor barns.
Hot and cold refreshments throughout the day
Lunch (please inform of any special dietary needs when booking)
Information sheets to take home with you
Aftercare and support from Chris and Laura should you need it
Number On Workshop
Maximum 10 people
Our next available dates
Workshop availability for the next two months is shown below on our booking calendar. To check the dates press BOOK and the calendar will appear.
How to book
Please book through our online booking system below
Select the “book” button below and follow the instructions.