Charlotte and King

Well.... I’m sat in bed on my laptop at 2am on a school night. Can’t wait to get up tomorrow! However considering I’m already at the point where I have no clue what I’m doing and deprived of sleep from the past week, let’s talk about the mishaps with King recently.


When people told me that thoroughbreds are in need of a lot of TLC, I didn’t think they meant my horse would practically have his own stable at our vets and they would ask on his progress from last time they saw him, and funnily enough it would always be in the past month! But, more specifically, let’s talk about his most recent illness that plunged a bit further in to my mums bank account, sorry mum!

We came up to the yard on a Sunday as normal, to see King wasn’t at the door as he usually is when he’s disgusted that he doesn’t have his breakfast at 7:00 like normal. I brought him outside to give him his breakfast when he turned his nose up at it. Now this might not seem like a huge deal, but if you knew king this was the equivalent to a child turning down sweets it just doesn’t happen. By this point I had clocked that something wasn’t quite right so I got my mum and she began to walk him round in a field to see if he peeked up. He got slightly worse and it slowly became clear that he had colic. For those who don’t know, colic is like a really bad stomach ache for horses and in some scenarios can kill them, so as you can imagine we weren’t thrilled with this news.

We called a vet and he came out after a short while. The news then came that he was also blocked, which resulted in multiple injections, a hand up his bum and a tube down his nose. Me and mum stayed with him for hours, and can I say, thank god for the cafe which we went to for hourly hot drinks, while we had to wait for him to poo. Lovely, I know!

Hours passed and he still hadn’t pood, so we called the vet out for the second time that day as the vet requested that we got him seen again. So we did the same as before and I’m pretty sure if king wasn’t so sedated he would’ve felt very violated. He got checked multiple times during the night and he managed to poo. Finally all over, right?

Well, wrong. Let’s go back to the fact king likes to surprise us with injuries and take our money! I brought him in after school on the Monday and he was a happy horse again. I gave him dinner and put him to bed. Just to put my mind at ease I waited for him to poo. I waited. And waited. And waited. The next thing we knew he was lying down. For most horses this is normal, but not king. As soon as he sees me he would jump up, but he didn’t. He just lay there. This is a MASSIVE sign of colic and I began to get anxious.


This is the part of the story where I realise how much I appreciate my yard. King had to go into the vets for 24 hour observation and had to be taken straight away. As it would most people this got me very emotional. My mum was working so Sue took me there with Maddie, even though they hadn’t sorted zaffi. Everyone there at the time helped out, got together and got zaffi sorted so we could take king in. I reallyappreciate everything that all the people did for us at that moment in time. It meant that king got the treatment he needed. he stayed there for 2 nights. He came home on the Wednesday and he seems happy. So that’s where I’m at now. Now 3am on the Thursday morning still worrying if he’s okay as it’s all I’ve done for the past few days. However I have no doubt that he will be better and make a full recovery!

Now we’re waiting for the vet bill!!!

Charlotte and King xoxo

Lucy & Mr T

Lucy and Mr T

I have been meaning to write this blog for ages now, but in true Mr T fashion, we thrive in last minute situations.

I'm currently on a train to Liverpool and so I'll do the best introduction to Mr T that I can muster out of this packed carriage. Mr T is an 8 year old 15hh Welsh section D cross that I've had for about 2 years now, I'd love to say he's matured in this time we've spent together but alas, I cannot lie to our readers. It's been quite a journey filled with broncs, bucks and general out-of-controlness(?) however I can safely say I will never regret letting this boy barge his way into my life.

Mr T!

Mr T!

One of our very first show jumping competitions together has to be the dictionary definition of 'winging it'. We rocked up with 5 minutes to spare due to trailer problems (dad was rejoicing as he thought he'd get out of towing) and every time we landed a jump my first thought was "oh Christ, which way next?!". Despite this our skill of working with what we've got came through as we managed a second place! It's been onwards and upwards since then, Ts been earning his keep by continuing to impress me with his jumping skills and somewhat ability to stay the right way up. He's a beast round a XC course, our first national hunter trial we came 6th out of 20, which made all the stress very worth while.

A few weeks ago I suffered an ever so slight severe concussion from a bad XC country fall. I know what you're thinking- but it wasn't Ts fault, from what I've been told (as I have no recollection of this day) he soldiered on like a champ and my melon self flopped off from my inability to sit back over the ditches on the island (riding 101 am I right?!?) regardless of this as soon as I was allowed back in the saddle we entered the forest cross 80cm and won!! I've often been asked if I was scared to get back on, but why be scared of something you can't remember? Fearless or foolish, I'll let you decide.

Mr T Resting

T’s a marmite of a horse but he will forever have a place in my heart, stay tuned for our antics to come.

From Lucy and Mr T

Buying a pony!

So the search is finally over...

After many many hours spent on preloved, a lot of petrol money spent on multiple road trips , and a good few horse trials later; I’ve finally found my dream horse!! But for now let’s start by going back to the beginning ...

Around 4 or 5 months ago I began part loaning a pony named Daisy at Charnwood Forest Alpacas. She was a 13.2hh Dartmoor pony, she was very well behaved most of the time however she did have a habit of running out at jumps or throwing in the odd buck or two but they weren’t enough to de-seat you. Part loaning was quite a big thing for me as I had only recently got back into riding. Although I knew how much commitment even part loaning a horse was, my mum took a little more convincing and even when I managed to talk her into it and we agreed with the owner, my dad still did not like the idea of it whatsoever but we pretty much ignored that (he adores horses now so I’m not even sorry). I have progressed so much since I’ve had daisy and we both have learnt a lot, she has really helped me become a better rider and I’m going to miss her so so much, however even then I do not think she was the right horse for me.


Recently the owner decided to move yards to somewhere which is a fair way from where I live, because of this I decided to pull out of the loan (I think at this point I had decided it was time to look elsewhere anyway). After many talks with my parents, some convincing and a lot of research and working out, we finally decided it was time to look for our own. Straight away we started looking on preloved, Facebook and anywhere else that people had suggested to us. After few weeks of searching we found the first horse we went to view...

Robin was a 13.1hh welsh pony. She was a gorgeous little chestnut mare with a temperament to die for, unfortunately for a few reasons such as her locking stifle which meant I may not be able to compete on her, she was perhaps a little too small and the fact she was not responsive at all (she needed ALOT of leg) meant she just wasn’t the pony for me despite how well mannered she was. And so the search for my perfect horse continued!!!


The next horse we went to trial was quite a jump in size!!! Pepsi was a 15.2hh Thoroughbred (I was super nervous for this as I’d never ridden anything bigger than 14hhish and I’d also never ridden a thoroughbred). I was shocked when I got on her because she was so chilled and not thoroughbreddy at all! She actually gave me quite a lot of confidence and I decided to go back the next day to try her. We put the deposit down the next day and the owner had decided to give us a 2 month trial run with her. All was well and she was being delivered to us the next day. I was super excited the next morning but that excitement soon turned in to disappointment; the owner has contacted my mum and informed us that the small cut Pepsi had on her chest had gotten infected and she thought it was unfair on both Pepsi and me to sell her whilst she was ill. I was gutted and a little disheartened but we just got on with it and carried on.

Horse number 3 I didn’t actually end up trialing but we still spoke to the owners on the phone and planned to go see her. Dizzy was a 13.2hh welsh pony. Due to the fact we had been told she often stopped at jumps, wasn’t good with cross country and she can buck quite often we decided to let this one go before we travelled 2 hours away to go and trial her, she wasn’t right!

We hit the jackpot at horse number 4. Introducing Callisto aka Cal. He is a 6 year old 13.3hh Welshie x Hanoverian who stole my heart the minute I saw him! I went to see him twice and rode him, he was amazing. Cal is such a confident jumper and does not need any encouragement (this is good because he gives me confidence when jumping as I lack it in that area). He is extremely intelligent and has bags of character (he will flick his haynet over his opposite shoulder and eat it like that). Cal is the sweetest, cheekiest pony I’ve ever met but I absolutely adore him for it. I’m super happy with him and excited to see what the future holds for us!!!


Thankyou to everyone who helped me in this process me and my family are extremely grateful to all the girls and parents on the yard for helping us out with transport and generally just giving us advice, it is all very appreciated. 

Thank you for reading,
Ellie xxx