“Getting to the heart of husbandry” - A first step for the alpaca owner/ addict
Our introduction to husbandry course does exactly what it says on the tin. We give you a full and fascinating day learning how to keep your alpacas happy and healthy, how to prepare yourself for being an alpaca owner/ breeder and how to get the most enjoyment out of your herd.
Our course is led by Laura and Abbey who have over seven years of specialist experience of caring for, raising and breeding alpacas so you can be sure that you will receive the best advice.
There is plenty of hands-on experience with our animals both in our husbandry room and in the fields on our farm.
A day spent with Laura and Abbey will give you the confidence to go home and start getting up close with your own fleecy friends.
For people aspiring to own alpacas it is a great way to get the ball rolling so you can begin to make plans for your very own herd.
- Health of your alpacas. Learning how to body score, checking weight loss / gain, teeth, toenails etc.
- Environment. Food, paddock layout and maintenance, poo picking, shearing, dealing with different weathers, all essential in keeping your animals healthy.
- Analysis and herd management, often missed but very important, knowing what information to record and learning the facts and figures about your herd, understanding how to choose breeding partners and how to prepare for new cria arrivals.
- Responsibilities, what are your responsibilities? What can you do yourself? When should you involve a vet?
- Training and treatment, giving you the opportunity to get hands on with our animals should give you the confidence to treat and care for your own alpacas.
There is no obligation to handle our animals during the workshop... We do like to give you plenty of opportunity to do this though and will always encourage you to have a try at activities.
9.45 am: arrival and sign in with tea & coffee
10 am: training
12.30 pm: lunch & question time
1.30 pm: training
3.30 pm: review of day with a final cuppa
4 pm: hometime
Things to bring
A notebook and pen if you wish to make notes (not essential)
Clothing that is weather-proof and which you don’t mind getting wet or dirty
T shirt, shorts and sun cream for warmer weather
A change of clothing for the journey home may be a good idea for less forgiving weather days
NB. This is a hands-on course, so much of the activity will take place outside
Hot and cold refreshments throughout the day
Two course lunch (please inform of any special dietary needs when booking)
Information sheets to take home with you
Aftercare and support from our team should you need it
Number On Workshop
Maximum 12 people
£65.00 per person
£105.00 per couple
We always encourage visits by couples or pairs. It is great to have someone to bounce ideas off and when you return home you are guaranteed to have support close by... we find it really does help to be able to refer back to points with someone who shared the workshop experience with you.
Our next available dates
Workshop availability for the next two months is shown below on our booking calendar. To check the dates press BOOK and the calendar will appear.
How to book
Please book through our online booking system below
Select the “book” button below and follow the instructions.